Saturday, March 31, 2012

Reasons Not To Cut

Trigger warning: cutting
  • Physical pain will not make my emotional pain disappear for very long.
  • Cuts will be hard to hide, especially since summer is coming up.
  • Causing myself pain does not actually make me more in control of anything.
  • I don't want to worry my mom.
  • I don't want to scare my little sister, who's thirteen.
  • It would cause more problems than it would appear to solve.
  • I am loved.
  • She does not control me. (She being my emotionally and verbally abusive stepmom.)
  • I don't have immediately at hand the means to make sure cuts won't get infected.
  • I am stronger than my pain.
  • It is entirely possible to get addicted to the dopamine high. I have an addictive personality to begin with, and I might not be able to judge when enough is enough.
  • My therapist said she was proud of me for not cutting when I told her I was considering it but didn't.

Reasons I want to cut.
  • I feel like I need to do SOMETHING to help myself deal with my stepmom.
  • I feel destructive.
  • I have a tendency to see scars as badges of courage and honor, things with stories behind them.
  • I find the idea of a physical manifestation of my emotions to be very powerful.
  • I want to find out for myself if it helps.
  • The sympathy I get when I express the urge to cut makes me feel better.
  • I'm overly emotional to begin with. I wonder if Hufflepuffs have higher incidences of self-harm and suicide?
  • I live in a really small, small-minded town and I feel hopeless, like I'm never going to get out and experience the world.
  • Even though I consider myself to be eloquent, it would allow me to express my feelings without using words.
  • I want to relieve the pressure and tension of my life.
For the past few months, we've been doing dissections in my Zoology and Anatomy classes. The next time I had anatomy after I had my first compulsion to cut, I didn't trust myself with the scalpel. It was too tempting. It's still too tempting. A fresh blade, with a handle...it seems so much easier and safer than the stereotypical cutter's razor. Sometimes I wonder if anybody would even notice if I took a scalpel. Luckily, there's pretty much no way I could get away with it. Still, I wonder.

The first time I had these thoughts, I told my mom my Prozac wasn't working anymore, so we went to my doctor. She put me on a higher dose of Prozac, and also on Effexor. Now I feel better overall, but the underlying emotions are still there. I've been to my therapist once since then, and it helped. But I have more emotions than can fit into an hour-long session.

I haven't cut. But every day I wonder what would happen if I did. How would I do it? What would I use? Where would I cut to make it the easiest to hide? And then sometimes I think that trying to hide my cuts would just cause me even more stress. 

So what would make me feel better? Cutting, or not cutting? Not cutting, obviously. But the struggle against the irrational, insistent thoughts that it would help are so hard to control. Logic is not my greatest talent. I deal with emotions, overwhelmingly good and bad. I have to have my big sisters (sisters of the soul, not of the blood) reason me out of it. Then I feel like I'm honoring them, but I've failed myself because I've failed to make myself feel better using those means. Then I feel guilty, because I feel like I've failed them by still wanting to cut.

Here's to hoping I can remain strong enough not to succumb to the irrational thoughts. 

2 comments:

  1. 1. You don't ever need to feel guilty, ever. I think I can speak for Kelly when I say, we love you no matter what!

    2. It sounds like you need to find something to do instead of cutting when you feel the urge to self-harm. I looked this up (trust me to do research on everything), and one place mentioned that you can try putting a rubber band around your wrist and snapping it when you feel tempted to cut, to "snap" your attention away from the thoughts you want to avoid. My counselor had me do that to help get my mind off the thoughts that give me panic attacks, and it helped me. It might help you, too.

    3. Talk to your family and tell them you need to see the therapist more often than you are. I saw mine twice a week for a month, then once a week until she thought I was doing well enough to come less. Talking to someone, even if you repeat the same thing again and again, HELPS, and it will be good to have someone who knows exactly where you are so they can better support you.

    4. If dissection is a trigger, make sure you tell your mum, your therapist, or a teacher or counselor at school that you trust. They can help you find a way to avoid exposure to that trigger, at least.

    5. I adore you, I am proud of you, and I want you to know that! I am here any time, day or night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.
    -Ernest Hemingway

    I also struggle with a buffet of mental disorders. If you ever want to talk to someone, I know you have Laura and Kelly, but I'm here too.

    I can tell you from experience that cutting seems pretty helpful at first until you realize you are cutting because you're ashamed you are cutting. It's a cycle.

    ReplyDelete